<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Steeler Wrap-up, Pt. I 

In a post-Super Bowl post, Gobo says a couple of things:

I would not trade Ben Roethlisberger for any other quarterback in the league.
Agree. But, to clarify: Given superb protection, I think Peyton and Brady are better pure quarterbacks. But since the Steelers have the line that they have, Roethlisberger is the best QB we could possibly have. This is probably also what Gobo meant.

I think that if you could run simulations of this past season with Manning and Brady at the helm of the Steelers, it's possible we'd have gone 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

Also, one or both of them would have ended up in traction.

I want the Steelers to improve their offensive line as much as everyone, but I have to ask: would Ben still be as good if he had time in the pocket on every play?
I think so. Remember, he was far superior statistically last year, before he lost not one, not two, but three starting linemen -- two of them Pro Bowlers. Even with protection, he's still going to make plenty of those great improvised plays. But he's also going to be more accurate in the pocket, as I feel he was last year.

Which brings me to a related point about the line: As great as '08 was, if the line does not improve, I feel that Ben will break down prematurely, and/or suffer a major injury. Can he really run for his life indefinitely without wearing down?

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?