<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Funny Pages 

I've never been a real big comic strip person. There are a few that I find funny, but I can typically pick up today's funny pages and leaf through 99% of it without so much as cracking a smile.

So the bar is fairly low, but I may have found an exception: Today I caught a few-day-old installment of the strip Pearls Before Swine that made me chuckle out loud.

I was intrigued enough to read the strip's backstory on Wikipedia and it made me giggle even more. It's a simplistic tale of several animals (referred to only as "Rat," "Pig," etc), complete with frequent bad puns and the breaking of the "fourth wall" -- as seen in this strip, in which the artist/author ridicules himself:

It appeals to my taste. Pad puns always go. Plus, a ridiculous-looking crocodile with a funny accent launching hare-brained schemes to kill a zebra seems like pure genius when compared to the slow agony of reading the more prominently placed Hagar the Horrible.

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?