<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Damn you, Coke! 

It's pretty rare for a product I really like to to be taken off the market. In fact, I'm not sure it's ever happened before, because I don't care about that many products that aren't firmly entrenched. But it's happened now: the powers that be at Coca-Cola have discontinued Vanilla Coke.

Obviously I thought this was a fine, tasty beverage. But I was clearly in the minority, as sales fell in the two years after the product's rollout in 2002.

Since Coke's product decisions aren't exactly front-page news, I didn't realize what happened until I noticed my local store was out of it for a really long time. At that point I did some internet research and found out it was canned (pun intended).

The weird thing is, they've replaced it with Black Cherry Vanilla Coke. Combining something that's been on the market for years (Cherry Coke) with something they believe people are rejecting (Vanilla) just seems weird. But they say that's what the market research shows people want.

I bought a 12-pack of it, and it's not bad. Whatcha gonna do.

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?