<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Steelers 

I'm working on some media bias posts and other goodies, but this damn work thing has been getting in the way this week. I hate it when I actually have things to do. So instead I'll give some brief thoughts on football, which I can write in no time.

Gobo perfectly summed up the mindset in Steelers Nation when he said that he's worried now that the Steelers are 9-1. It seems that this mentality is very common among Steeler fans under 40. Or at least among my friends. If you're over 40, you have faith that the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl no matter what the circumstances. My theory is that because these people saw the team win 4 Super Bowls, they were magically inoculated against the effects of a decade of mediocrity (the 80's), followed by the frustrating playoff failures since 1992. Us folks under 40, on the other hand, don't believe anything until we see it.

I'm not complaining. I mean, I'm ecstatic that they've made the playoffs so many times. I could live in Cincinnati or something. But the way they (and the Pirates in the early 90's) have blown it in the playoffs has been devastating, time and time again. So it's easy to imagine a Big Ben collapse in the AFC Championship game -- or worse, a 14-2 finish and an upset loss to the wild card Ravens in the Divisional Playoffs.

When it comes to the Steelers' ability to make the right personnel moves and put a winning team on the field, I'm the eternal optimist. But when late December rolls around, it's time to bite the nails and imagine the worst. I'm trying not to do that this year, since this is the team's best start since 1978....but it's damn hard! The Patriots are so tough, and we've already beaten them once. Could we do it twice? Can Roethlisberger keep this up through what, in another week or two, will become the longest season of his life? We shall see. But either way I guess we should just shut up, enjoy the ride, and try to have faith that this will be the Super year the city has waited 25 years for.

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?