<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 09, 2004

Me and Detroit baseball 

Put me at a baseball game in Detroit and something weird happens.

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to Comerica Park to see the Tigers and Red Sox play. In that game, Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield tied a major league record by giving up a whopping six home runs (and he still won). That made me a perfect 2-for-2 in seeing noteworthy games in the Motor City. For the first one, you'll have to set your way-back machines to 1990. On August 25 of that year, I was in the stands when Cecil Fielder became the first Tiger to ever hit a home run over the left field roof of Tiger Stadium, which had been around since 1912. I always knew that Cecil had hit it over the roof and that they were playing the A's that day, but I wasn't sure of the date or the exact significance of the home run until I did some online research. I actually found the boxscore from that game.

As for the ballpark itself -- I enjoyed it. It had the same feel as PNC Park and the ballpark formerly known as Pac Bell in San Francisco. I could have done without all the gaudy concrete Tigers and the huge "General Motors Fountain" in center field, which didn't seem to add all that much except the words "General Motors" in gigantic letters. But the layout was attractive and easy to navigate, and food lines were reasonable even with a near-sellout crowd.

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?