<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Bruce Hornsby and the Deranged 

Has anyone listened to Sean Hannity's radio show? I admit I sometimes do if I'm feeling masochistic and have an afternoon assignment that involves driving. First I "Hannitize" the station car by making sure I don't have anything that I could conceivably use as a weapon when the inevitable wave of anger hits (usually around 40 seconds in). Then I flip on our new FM talk station that features the likes of Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Michael Savage.

I'm sure I'll comment from time to time on what I hear spewing forth from the mouths of these boobs and their witless callers. But I'll start with the thing that has amused me since day one: the fact that Hannity uses the beginning of "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby as one of his main theme songs. The song depicts a worldview that is so markedly un-Hannitized. It's kind of like the whole Reagan/"Born in the U.S.A." thing. But at least Born in the USA is a little tricky. And Reagan was quasi-senile. Sean's just dumb. Or quite possibly he thinks that the song makes his show "fair and balanced."

0 comments. Leave one!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?